Thursday 23 September 2010

Playa Santispac

At about midnight the sky becomes heavier. Where before the air had been free to take light flight, almost amongst the stars it seemed, now its weight and heat become oppressive - its route to the stars blocked by the approaching clouds of a thunderstorm, and beneath them it curls and writhes in hot inescapable torment. In the darkness the world has lost all boundaries. There is now no distinction, in the thick, black mass, between myself the sand or the sea - even as I move my hand in front of open eyes, the world appears as one. The outlines of these objects are marked only by sound: treading forward, the light crunching of sand caught between curling toes, and the gigantic noise of small crashing waves guide me to the coolness of the sea.

As my feet touch the water tiny bright sparks dance, yellow, all around them. I lie in the black water,and with each tiny movement I ignite impossible fires; the thousands of glowing bodies, in excited sparkling rapture, falling again to black, as the once disturbed waters calm. I play with the light and the water, like children play with things they have never seen before. The first light drops of rain then, and the snapping of sheet lightning overhead, separating, for seconds, the clouds from the sea and sky, each tiny grain of sand, the cliffs, and every part of the landscape that had disappeared.

As the rain falls with a greater force, and each thick drop causes the microscopic bodies, once again, to illuminate the surface of the sea, I leave the flickering, wonderful shallows, to lie beneath the palm leaf shelter on the beach and wait for the morning´s light.





leaving Baja...

No comments: